Guiltless Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Coconut Icing
Our oldest son, Shep, turned four years old a few weeks ago. Pretty sure he was a baby just like yesterday! Where does time go?!
Since we were out of town in Colorado for his actual birthday, we decided to celebrate with friends back in Austin this weekend!
One of our activities to do with our kids is bake! Shep loves to add all the ingredients to the mixing bowl, and of course, most of all, he loves to lick the spoon - and the bowl - and all the things! My heart smiles every time we bake together!
We made Guiltless chocolate cupcakes and a new strawberry coconut icing. I wanted to keep the icing dairy-free, as several of our friends don't do dairy, (either do we) so the icing is kind of a "topping" - not a traditional fluffy frosting. But it was a huge hit! Everyone loved these, and several friends took some home with them.
*These are also delicious plain, without the icing!
Yields 32 cupcakes
1 cup Coconut Oil (measured in solid state)
16 oz Dark Chocolate (your preferred %) chopped or chips
1 1/2 cup Coconut Palm Sugar
8 Large Eggs
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
4 cups Guiltless Superfood Flour
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 can (13.5 oz) of chilled coconut milk (full fat)
1 cup of strawberry preserves (or fresh strawberries pureed)
1/2 cup coconut oil (measured in solid state)
1/3 cup pure maple syrup /or honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake/muffin pans with cupcake liners. (sometimes to make sure the cupcakes don't stick, I will lightly spray the liners with non-stick spray. I know this probably isn't necessary, but just in case! :)
2. In a small sauce pan on low heat, add coconut oil and dark chocolate. Melt together, stirring frequently.
3. Once chocolate is melted, pour into your mixing bowl and let cool slightly. Add in coconut sugar and turn on mixer until combined. (Use a stand mixer or hand mixer)
4. Add eggs and vanilla, mix until combined.
5. Add Guiltless Superfood Flour, sea salt and baking powder and whisk until well combined.
6. Using an ice cream scooper, scoop batter into cupcake liners until about 3/4 full.
8. Bake for about 21 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached.
9. Cool completely (at least 20 minutes) on a wire rack
1. Open chilled coconut milk and scoop out the cream that has floated to the top. Discard or save the water on bottom.
2. Add the coconut cream, strawberry preserves, maple/honey, and vanilla extract to a bowl, and using a hand mixer, mix on high for about 2 minutes. Add in shredded coconut and mix until combined.
3. Ice cupcakes right before serving. Garnish with a sliced strawberry, if desired!